Mission & Values
Ceiba promotes the economic development and financial inclusion of Philadelphia’s Latino community through collaborations and advocacy aimed at ensuring their access to quality housing.
Since 2002, Ceiba has:
- Received a Human Rights Award from The Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations.
- Secured significant institutional changes in the way that city government interacts with limited English proficient (LEP) people & business owners.
- Pioneered the integration of various asset-building programs with housing counseling.
- Prepared 3,240 tax returns resulting in $4,921,944 in refunds & $243,000 in saved preparation fees.
- Obtained 354 ITIN numbers for immigrants.
- Delivered 15,227 units of housing counseling services.
- Helped 643 people become first-time homeowners.
- Graduated 28 participants from IDA programs (Matched Savings Program).
- Helped clients open 293 bank accounts.
- Organized 425 workshops.
- Delivered a presentation at the National Community Tax Coalition conference in Chicago about ITINs as a tool to promote economic development in unauthorized immigrant communities.
- Produced and broadcast 31 radio shows on financial literacy topics for Ceiba's Spanish-language public affairs program.
- Served as the plaintiff in a successful class action lawsuit that stopped discriminatory practices against Latinos who secured auto loans from auto manufacturers.